Saturday, March 28, 2009

wH the 'Obssesive' : Ending a conversation

I have a few habits apparently when talking to people on the phone. This was pointed out to me by a 'Ms. Nice' after a few conversations on the phone. The one thing that I can't get over is how I always used this line. This line sparked a long discussion between me and this 'Ms. Nice'.

The 'Line' I use the most to end a conversation is (...wait for it..wait for it..) :

'Sorry for disturbing you/taking up your time. Bye!'

I don't know if its a Malaysian thing,cultural difference thing or just my secondary school friends thing. 'Ms. Nice' implied using this line is just weird. She frequently trys to 'comfort' me by telling me 'not to worry' and that I am not 'disturbing' her.

So here are 'Ms. Nice' points on why I should not used the line:

  • Disturb has a negative connotation
  • And no apology is needed when you just call randomly to have a conversation

I have been 'soul-searching', trying to figure out why do I use this line exactly. and here are the possible reasons.

  • I'm afraid that the person ACTUALLY does not want to talk too long to me but is too nice to say so. (Hmm.. that makes me seem so insecure..)
  • I find it normal. Back Home, some of my friends say 'haha,sry to kacau ! ciaoz'. Kacau means disturb and it is just a way of ending the conversation. It's not an actual apology. It's like 'Excuse me!'
  • It could also be a way for showing appreciation that your willing to use your time to converse with me. I just find it hard to say 'Thank you for using your time to speak with me!' to end the conversation. Its TOO WEIRD!

I am not exactly sure which reason has the most weightage but I think its the first one because I seem to do it when I'm talking to someone 'NEW' and I'm nervous. (Damn!) Nah! Could be the second because to me its also quite a normal thing. I don't know!

But don't you think its a valid way of ending a conversation or is it just weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment